Illinois (15-12, 4-10) vs. Nebraska (16-10, 8-6)
Wed. Feb. 26, 8:00 p.m. CT - Champaign - State Farm Center (16,618)
Big Ten Network - Kevin Kugler, Shon Morris
Notes (per Nebraska sports info):
- The Huskers will be looking for their sixth straight win for the first time since the 1997-98 season, when the Huskers closed the regular season with six straight conference wins.
- Nebraska will be seeking its ninth conference win for the first time since the 1998-99 season and for just the 10th time since WWII. The win would also mark just the second time since 2000 that Nebraska can finish .500 or better in conference play (2008-09).
- Nebraska is bidding for its eighth Big Ten win in the last nine games, which would be a first for the program since the 1998-99 season when Nebraska went 9-1 in a stretch during Big 12 action.
- The Huskers are seeking their first win in Champaign since 1921, and snap a seven-game losing streak at Illinois. In addition, Nebraska could pick up its first-ever sweep of the Illini.
- Nebraska is seeking its first three-game road win streak since the 1998-99 season.
- The Huskers have already topped last year’s win total, marking the 13th time in 14 seasons under a Miles’ coached-team that has matched or exceeded the previous season. The only time it did not happen in Miles tenure was in 2003-04 at North Dakota State.
- A win on Wednesday would assure the Huskers would finish no worse than ninth in the final Big Ten standings, as Northwestern, Illinois and Penn State already have 10 Big Ten losses. In addition, Minnesota (which lost to Nebraska in the only meeting) and Purdue also have nine Big Ten losses.
- Terran Petteway comes into the Illinois game with 479 points this season and is 21 points away from becoming just the 13th Husker to score 500 points in a season. It would be the 19th time in school history that a Husker scored 500 points in a season and the first since Aleks Maric had 519 points in 2007-08.
- Petteway is also seeking his fourth straight 20-point game, which would be the first time a Husker has done that since Aleks Maric had four consecutive 20-point games in 2006-07. Petteway now has 10 20-point games, which is the most by a Husker since Maric in 2006-07.
- Tai Webster enters Wednesday’s game needing two steals to crack into the top-10 list for steals by a Husker freshman. Webster has 23 on the season, three behind Leslee Smith and Shavon Shields for the team lead. Cookie Miller is the last Husker freshman to lead NU in steals during the 2007-08 season.
Tai Webster: G, 6-4, 194, Fr. - 4.7 ppg, 2.2 apg
David Rivers: F, 6-7, 198, Jr. - 2.5 ppg, 2.7 rpg
Terran Petteway: G/F, 6-6, 209, So. - 18.4 ppg, 5.0 rpg
Shavon Shields: G/F, 6-7, 219, So. - 12 ppg, 5.5 rpg
Walter Pitchford: F, 6-10, 234, So. - 9.1 ppg, 4.3 rpg
Off the bench:
Ray Gallegos: G, 6-2, 182, Sr. - 12.5 ppg, 1.5 apg
Leslee Smith: F, 6-8, 255, Jr. - 6.7 ppg, 5.5 rpg
Nathan Hawkins: G, 6-5, 198, Fr. - 2.2 ppg, 1.3 rpg
Series Record: Illinois leads 10-4
Series Streak: Nebraska W-1
Record at Champaign: Illinois leads 7-1
Series Streak at Champaign: Illinois W-7
Last Meeting: ? Nebraska 67, Illinois 58 (Feb. 12, 2014 at Lincoln)
Groce vs. Nebraska: 2-1
Illinois Coach John Groce - "It's unique in that we've only played two games since we played them last, so familiarity certainly helps in preparation for the game. At the end of the game, players make plays at this time of year. I think toughness prevails a lot. Who is able to impose their will? What guys are still wanting to play this time of year? How badly do you want it? How hard are they going to fight? Obviously watching them on film they've got it going on right now at both ends of the floor. It will be a good challenge, but I think our guys are excited to get out of the practice realm we've been in the last few days."
Nebraska team info: