Much like Illinois, Arizona State’s football team received a makeover following the 2011 season.
Coach Todd Graham, previously at Pitt, was hired to take over the program after the team finished 6-7 a year ago.
The Sun Devils rolled over Northern Arizona in the season opener, winning 63-6.
Leading passer: Taylor Kelly: 15-of-19, 247 yards, one TD
Leading rusher: Marion Grice: 14 attempts, 107 yards, three TDs
Leading receiver: Richard Smith: five catches, 45 yards, one TD
Leading tackler: Chris Young: 6.5 total tackles, 2.5 for loss, one pass breakup
Defensive players of note:
Laiu Moeakiola: 3.5 tackles, one interception
Brandon Magee: 1.5 tackles, one interception
Alden Darby: one tackle, one interception
Gannon Conway: one tackle, one quarterback sack
Playing in a runaway game, it’s hard to know exactly what the Sun Devils want to do in all facets of the game in competitive situations. In saying that, here’s a look at the stats from Saturday.
- The offense converted 25 first downs – 12 on the ground, 11 through the air and two by way of penalty.
- The team rushed for 305 yards, passed for 249.
- One kickoff and two punt returns went for a combined 20 yards.
- Four penalties for 40 yards.
- 7 of 13 on third downs.
- Punter Josh Hubner averaged 45.3 yards per punt.
- Won the turnover battle 3-1.
Here’s a full transcript of Graham’s Monday address to the media.